How to Build an SEO Strategy
in 5 Steps?
To compete in today’s shifting landscape, an effective SEO strategy is crucial for every business. Ideally, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) helps to increase organic traffic and drive conversion rates. This means that your website or landing page must appeal to Google and other search engines that rely on a set of predetermined steps, A.K.A. algorithm, to rank online content. The caveat? Extreme fluctuation.
Search algorithms are continuously being refined in order to match user queries with the most accurate information available. Nothing remains static for long. For example, type in the question: “What is SEO?” and results may differ on a regular basis, depending on the precise algorithm that is being applied. If the very nature of SEO is change, how can any business hope to develop a bullet-proof SEO strategy?
Despite the many challenges associated with building a successful SEO strategy, it can certainly be achieved. The key is knowing how to reach your full potential as a company, while having the courage to switch tactics when necessary. It all comes down to a combination of careful planning, ongoing analysis, persistence, and a willingness to grow and change with the times.
Top 5 Steps to Consider When Building an SEO Strategy
1. Do Your Research
Research should be a permanent fixture of your SEO strategy. If you want to stay on top of the game, you must follow the rules. Here’s how to get noticed:
- Compare your keywords and phrases to the competition and adjust accordingly
- Conduct a full-blown competitive analysis to get ahead
- Discover what devices are being used to access your website and improve user experience
2. Consider Content
How you decide to create and curate your content will play a significant role in organic traffic and customer retention. Once users have clicked on to your site, will they stay to learn more or quickly move on? Consider the following suggestions:
- Get to know your target audience and give them what they want
- Find out what your competitors are doing and do it better (For example, write a more concise, informative blog on the same topic)
- Update/add content as much as possible
3. Attend to User Experience and Technical SEO
As the saying goes, technology is great when it works. In order to navigate your site and access relevant content, all of the technical elements must be securely in place. Aesthetic appeal is also important to elicit customer buy-in. These recommendations can help create a user-friendly experience:
- Consider the user interface when structuring your site and check to ensure that people are taking desired actions
- Break up information with visuals (videos, photos) and enhance with applicable charts, graphs, or infographics
- Be on the lookout for technical glitches and repair them as soon as possible
4. Stay in the Know
In addition to a thorough competitive analysis, you should track your own progress to paint the full picture of success. When your strategy is properly measured and documented, you can prove impact. Stay in the know with these helpful tips:
- Review bounce rate, top exit pages, and crawl errors to improve content and the user experience
- Record benchmarks to define success and inform future best practices
- Continue to analyze findings and course-correct on a regular basis
5. Set Yourself Up for Success
Although some general rules apply to an effective SEO strategy, each business venture is unique. Success may look different to different people. Instead of comparing apples to oranges, keep the following advice in mind to set yourself up for personal and professional success.
- Develop a customized business plan and SEO strategy based on the specific needs/goals of your agency
- Set realistic expectations that account for variables such as timeframe, size of the organization, whether you’re working in a niche market, etc.
- Learn and improve from mistakes through consistent tracking and updates
There you have it. How to build an effective SEO strategy in 5 steps. When it comes to SEO, the race to the top is clearly more of a marathon than a sprint. Hard work and perseverance are just a few of the attributes that you will need to capitalize on Search Engine Optimization for the long haul. However, Rome wasn’t built in a day (and neither was Google).
Looking for further insights into evolving SEO strategy? Check out Getting Results: Four Tips For Creating A Strong SEO Strategy and 9 Essential Steps In Building A Winning SEO Strategy.
At Futureproof, we approach business and marketing from a holistic point of view. SEO is just one of several performance marketing strategies that we can assist in curating, along with other vital aspects of product promotion. Our service and offerings change as the market demands, to provide you with the optimal customized solution for your business. From strategy to launch, we are there with you every step of the way to achieve your brand-specific objectives. Think of us as your partner for the future. Check us out and Futureproof your business today!